All GeekHampton technicians follow a consistent daily workflow that includes prioritizing and organizing workload, servicing machines, and communicating with customers and team members.
Login to LightSpeed
If you are an hourly employee, create a new a “Timesheet” and start the timer.
- Check your GeekHampton email address for any important messages, voicemails, etc. that may have been sent to you.
- Always respond to emails to let the person who sent the email to you know that it was received and the message was understood.
Return Phone Calls
- Return calls to customers who left a message.
- Call any customer you have promised to call.
- Document the call in the “Internal Notes” field of the SRO.
Assess Workload and Determine Status of Service Orders
- Check status of parts orders
- Log in to GSX and check tracking on parts that are needed. Knowing when parts are expected to arrive is important for estimating completion dates, especially for customers who are concerned about the repair turn around time or are in town for a limited time.
- Call these customers with an update and possible arrival time for their part.
- Check open SROs
- Check LightSpeed for open SROs. The trackers located in the bottom left corner of the LightSpeed browser window will help you quickly see SROs grouped by their status. You can also check the “Not Yet Diagnosed” bin near the entrance of the tech room, for SROs that have not been started.
- Customers must be updated on their service within 24 hours of drop-off even if there has not yet been a diagnosis. Document the call in the “Internal Notes” of the SRO with a time stamp.
- Check status of on-bench computers
- Check on-bench computers that were left running overnight (doing upgrades, backing up, running ASD, etc.)
- Check notes in LightSpeed for on-bench machines to familiarize yourself with repairs that someone else may have been working on, so they can be completed in the technician’s absence.
- Attempt to finish nearly completed machines before starting another.
Throughout the Day Procedures
Be sure to prioritize repairs by date received. AppleCare eligible machines are always higher priority than those without AppleCare.
Order, receive and return parts
- Order Parts through GSX before 4PM for next day shipment. If a part must be ordered, refer to the “Setting up Orders and POs in LightSpeed” policy and procedure.
- When parts arrive during the day, be sure to receive the corresponding POs in LightSpeed before using the part. Reference the “Receiving POs in Light Speed” policy and procedure. where is this?
- Parts being returned to Apple must be packaged in the way the part was received before shipping out. If it is late in the day and Fedex has already picked up outgoing packages, call Fedex and request the driver to come back if possible.
- Critical: Update notes throughout the day, especially following a phone call with or from the customer. Notes are entered in the “Internal Notes” field of the SRO with a time stamp.
- All KGB serials, KBB serials, and tracking numbers must be entered in the corresponding SRO if the GSX repair requires these serials. This is important because this information may need to be referenced later on.
Marking repairs “Ready for Pickup” in GSX
- Be sure to test any machines that required parts in GSX thoroughly before marking the repair “Ready for Pickup” in GSX.
- Make sure the proper checklist for the repair is completed BEFORE the customer is notified that the repair is complete.
End of Day Procedure
- Begin the “End of Day” procedure at 30 minutes before closing.
- Wrap up any nearly completed repairs where possible.
- If bench space is available, start repairs that can be left running overnight (ASD, Transfers, Upgrades, Backups, etc.)
- Critical: Update all notes for SROs.
- Critical: Make sure all customers have been updated on their repair within the promised 24-hour timeframe and document the call in “Internal Notes” field of the SRO. Make sure notes are very clear on all calls so other technicians know exactly what was discussed with the customer. If someone was promised a call, make sure it is done. Do not wait until the next morning to call them.
- When all tasks are completed, if you had created a “Timesheet” earlier in the day, stop it, and log out of Lightspeed.